Updated June 22, 2021
Welcome to the Mayo Clinic Store website and related digital and online services ("Mayo Clinic Site," the "Site," or “Sites”), an online e-commerce, information, and communications service provided by Mayo Clinic and all affiliates ("Mayo Clinic" or "We" or "Us").
What information we collect
Information you give us: We respect the right to privacy of all visitors to the Mayo Clinic Sites. We receive and store information you enter on our Sites or provide to us through the Sites in any other way. This includes information you submit on forms, such product ordering forms and web pages.
In particular, we collect several types and categories of information from and about users of our Sites, specifically information The information we collect on or through our Sites includes:
- Personal Data such as the data identified above;
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Sites. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our Sites, using our services or other services available through the Sites, purchasing products, or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our Sites;
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us;
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research, development, and marketing purposes; and
- Details of transactions you carry out through our Sites and of the fulfillment of your orders. You may be required to provide financial information before placing an order through our Sites.
You also may provide information to be published or displayed (hereinafter, “Posted”) on public areas of the Sites or transmitted to other users of the Sites or third parties (collectively, “User Contributions”). Your User Contributions are Posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. Although we limit access to certain pages, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other users of the Sites with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
Information we collect automatically:
We collect information about you automatically as you navigate through or use our Sites. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, session replay and recording technology (recording your movements, clicks, etc. on our Sites), and information collected through cookies, web beacons, pixels tags, and other tracking technologies. As you navigate through and interact with our Sites, we may use automatic data collection technologies (such as session replay and tracking technologies referred to above) to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, specifically:
- Usage Details. Details of your visits to our Sites, such as traffic data, location, logs, referring/exit pages, date and time of your visit to or use of our Sites, error information, clickstream data, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on or in the Sites.
- Device Information. Information about your computer, mobile device, and Internet connection, specifically your IP address, operating system, browser type, and App version information.
- Location Data. Information about your location collected through Geolocation technology.
The information we collect automatically may include Personal Data or we may maintain it or associate it with Personal Data we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our Sites and to deliver a better and more personalized service by enabling us to:
- estimate our audience size and usage patterns;
- improve our product and services offering;
- store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Sites according to your individual interests; and
- recognize you when you return to our Sites.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Pixels and Web Beacons. Pages on our Sites, or our e-mails, may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit us, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an e-mail and for other related Sites statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain Sites content and verifying system and server integrity).
- Do Not Track Signals. Some web browsers permit you to broadcast a signal to websites and online services indicating a preference that they “do not track” your online activities. At this time, we do not honor such signals, but
Our Sites provide you with the opportunity to receive communications from us or third parties. You can sign up for a free Mayo Clinic email newsletter. You can unsubscribe from this newsletter at any time. You may use the unsubscribe mechanism or link in our marketing emails if you wish to stop receiving marketing emails from us.
Email communications that you send to us via the email links on our Site may be shared with a customer service representative, employee, medical expert, or agent that is most able to address your inquiry. We make every effort to respond in a timely fashion once communications are received. Once we have responded to your communication, it is discarded or archived, depending on the nature of the inquiry. The email functionality on our site does not provide a completely secure and confidential means of communication. It's possible that your email communication may be accessed or viewed by another internet user while in transit to us. If you wish to keep your communication private, do not use our email.
We occasionally survey visitors to our site. The information from these surveys is used in aggregated, de-identified form to help us understand the needs of our visitors so that we can improve our site. The information may be shared with third parties with whom we have a business relationship. We generally do not ask for information in surveys that would personally identify you; if we do request contact information for follow-up, you may decline to provide it. If survey respondents provide personal information (such as an email address) in a survey, it is shared only with those people who need to see it to respond to the question or request, or with third parties who perform data management services for our site. Those third parties have agreed to keep all data from surveys confidential.
How we use the information we collect
In addition to the uses described above, we use the information we collect for things like:
- Optimizing the performance and user experience of our sites;
- Operating, evaluating, and improving our business;
- Fulfilling purchases, orders, and requests for products, services, or information;
- Processing returns and exchanges;
- Tracking and confirming online orders;
- Delivering or installing products;
- Marketing and advertising products and services, including by inferring your interests from your interactions with our websites and newsletters and tailoring advertisements, newsletters, and offers to you (both on our websites and on other websites) based on your interactions with us in our stores and online interests;
- Sending you email newsletters;
- Conducting research and analysis;
- Communicating with you about your account, special events, and surveys; and
- Establishing and managing your accounts with us.
We may combine this information with any other information we have about you, including, if you are a Mayo Clinic patient, any PHI we have about you. If we combine this information with your PHI, we will treat all of that information as PHI and will only use or disclose that information as set forth in our notice of privacy practices.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
We may share information with third parties
We may share the information we collect about you with third parties who we have engaged to help us provide the Site, as well as the products and services available through our Site. In this regard, we may disclose your Personal Data to affiliates, contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business. The services provided by these organizations include providing IT and infrastructure support services, advertising, marketing, and payment processing services. Advertising and marketing partners such as Facebook, Instagram, Google, and other advertising networks may receive and use your Personal Data to assist us with our advertising and marketing efforts.
We may also disclose your Personal Data:
- to a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which Personal Data held by Mayo about our Sites users are among the assets transferred;
- to fulfill the purpose for which you provide it;
- for any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information;
- with your consent;
- to comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request;
- to related affiliates and to unrelated third parties to market or advertise their products or services to you if you have not opted out of these disclosures. This type of sharing may be deemed a sale of Personal Data under some laws or jurisdiction. Facebook, Instagram, Google, and other advertising networks may have the ability to use your Personal Data for their own marketing, advertising or business purposes;
- if we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Mayo, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We do not control the collection and use of your information collected by third parties described above in Disclosure of Your Information. These third parties may aggregate the information they collect with information from their other customers for their own purposes.
In addition, we strive to provide you with choices regarding the Personal Data you provide to us. We have created or you have available mechanisms to provide you with control over your Personal Data:
- Promotional Offers from Mayo. If you do not wish to have your email address used by Mayo to promote our own products and services, you can opt-out at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any email or other marketing communications you receive from us. This opt out does not apply to information provided to Mayo as a result of a product purchase or your use of our services.
- Targeted Advertising. To learn more about interest-based advertisements and your opt-out rights and options, visit the Digital Advertising Alliance and the Network Advertising Initiative websites (aboutads.info and www.networkadvertising.org). Please note that if you choose to opt out, you will continue to see ads, but they will not be based on your online activity. We do not control third parties’ collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. However, these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way. You can also opt out of receiving targeted ads from members of the NAI on its website.
Your Rights Regarding Your Information and Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You can Contact Us to access and/or find out what information we have about you, and to correct that information. You can also review and change your Personal Data by logging into our Sites and visiting either the Settings or Account Preferences sections of our Sites. You may also notify us through the Contact Information below of any changes or errors in any Personal Data we have about you to ensure that it is complete, accurate, and as current as possible or to delete your account. We cannot delete your personal information except by also deleting your account with us. We may also not be able to accommodate your request if we believe it would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
Whether you are visiting the Mayo Clinic Site or one of our clinic locations, we use reasonable security measures to protect the confidentiality of personal information under our control, and we appropriately limit access to it. We use a variety of information security measures to protect your online transactions with us. The Mayo Clinic Site uses encryption technology, such as Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), to protect your personal information during data transport. SSL protects information you submit via our website, such as ordering information including your name, address, and credit card number. That being said, Mayo Clinic cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. We have taken reasonable steps to ensure the integrity and confidentiality of personally identifiable information that you may provide. You should understand, however, that electronic transmissions via the internet are not necessarily secure from interception, and so we cannot absolutely guarantee the security or confidentiality of such transmissions.
Users in the European Economic Area (EEA), the United Kingdom, and Switzerland
If you are a resident of the EEA, the United Kingdom, or Switzerland, the following information applies with respect to personal data collected through your use of our Site.
Purposes of processing and legal basis for processing:As explained above, we process personal data in various ways depending upon your use of the services. We process personal data on the following legal bases: (1) with your consent; (2) as necessary to provide the services; and (3) as necessary for our legitimate interests in providing the services where those interests do not override your fundamental rights and freedom related to data privacy.
Transfers:Personal data we collect may be transferred to, and stored and processed in, the United States or any other country in which we or our affiliates or processors maintain facilities. We will ensure that transfers of personal data to a country or an international organization outside the EEA, the United Kingdom, or Switzerland are subject to appropriate safeguards.
Your rights:You are entitled to the rights under Chapter III of the EU General Data Protection Regulation, the United Kingdom General Data Protection Regulations and Data Protection Act 2018, or Section 2 of the Swiss Federal Act on Data Protection with respect to the processing of your personal data, which include the right to access and rectify and to request erasure of personal data. In order to verify your identity, we may require you to provide us with personal information prior to accessing any records containing information about you.
Protecting children's privacy
Our Sites are not intended for users under 18 years of age. No one under age 18 may provide any information to or through the Sites. We do not knowingly collect Personal Data from users under 18. If you are under 18, do not use or provide any information on or in our Sites or on or through any of their features, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received Personal Data from a user under 18 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from a user under 18, please contact us at the contact information below.
Links to other websites
If you have a question or concern regarding your privacy, please contact Mayo Clinic's Privacy Officer using the contact information below:
Mayo Clinic Privacy Officer
200 First St. SW
Rochester, MN 55905